Thursday, May 3, 2018

Know.


I read Psalm 46 today. And I started writing. And God reminded me about some pretty significant truths. I wanted to share them with you.

Psalm 46: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling...The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress...'Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!'...The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress."

I think sometimes we associate this well-known verse 'be still and know I'm God' with quiet. With peace. I picture standing in tranquil woods, breathing in fresh air, or sitting in a cozy chair by a fire, drinking hot chocolate and writing. And meditating on those words. There's nothing wrong with either scenario but I think it misses the entirety of this passage.

These verses depict utter disaster and destruction, chaos. The earth collapsing, moving, shaking, roaring. All nations warring, governments unstable and coming to ruin. It's movement, fighting, loud, dirty, shocking, unpredictable. It's over-whelming, overpowering, chaos, hopeless. How do you combat that?

And it's in the middle of that- what feels like the end of the world- when God commands us to 'be still and know.' When it's the last thing you want to do. When all seems lost, out of control, damaging, horrific.

Stop running. Stop hyperventilating. Stop screaming. Stop.
Be still.
Stop doubting. Stop despairing. Stop fearing. Stop.
And know.

Let things rage and roar around you because you can be confident in the Lord. Why?
He speaks.
He can whisper a word and the earth melts! He is sovereign over all. He controls the waters, the mountains, the beasts, the rise and fall of nations.

We are not alone. And we can trust that he will prevail against it all. Yes, because he loves us tremendously, but mostly because he is jealous for his name. He will make his name great. He will be exalted. There is no question. It's not a possibility, a potential, or even a probable. It's a definitive.
He will be exalted.

Be still and know.

The storms raging in my life. My mountains, my churning waters, my darkness, my tremblings, my fears, my questions. My chaos. Is in God's wheelhouse. Is nothing he can't overcome. Is nothing he doesn't already fully understand. Is already defeated, answered, held, moved, stilled, healed, restored, illuminated. Is under his loving control.

Be still. Be confident. Wait patiently. Know.

I don't get to know all the details, all the whys, all the how's, when's, who's. I don't get to know the why not's, the not yet's the ten minute day and the ten hour night. I don't get to know everything I want to.

But I know Him.
And that's all that matters.

To know Him is enough. To know Him is to know the deepest love, the unimaginable peace, the incomprehensible grace, the abounding joy, the certain future, the undeserved mercy, the dependable hope, the healing touch, and the irrefutable truth.

And it is enough.

There is chaos. And there is rest. There is fear. And there is wisdom.
Take refuge, accept his strength.
He is here. He always has been. He always will be.

Be still and know Him.
It is enough.

1 comment:

  1. Such good truths to hold fast to in these days! So appreciate how you put your thoughts in words that resonate in our souls. Brings me such joy to see how God is revealing Himself to you and hear you rehearse His promises in troubled times!

    ReplyDelete